Monday, August 20, 2007

Thoughts on The Kite Runner

So, I've picked up reading again. I actually did it. It wasn't like jogging at all. It was like a warm breeze in the dead of a Minnesota winter.

The Kite Runner was given to me as a gift for being in a friends wedding. As the groom handed me the gift bag filled with three books he said, and I quote: "I know you like to read, so I figured I'd give you a few books that I've enjoyed this past year." Hmmm. Interesting. I was the best man in this wedding. The wedding was two weeks ago and I've already finished The Kite Runner.

To summarize:
1) Afghanistan history 2) Complete depravity of the hero throughout childhood and adult life
3) Realization of depravity within himself, and knowledge it's not limited to himself 4) Selfless acts can lead to self redemption (philosophical, I know, I don't want to get into it).

I enjoyed The Kite Runner. Some paragraphs made me stop and wipe away imaginary tears, tears that could have been there if I were more sensitive, but I'm not. It was more like the Dan reaction when something big happens...the "whoa, whoa!" (shoulders raise just a tad, head vigorously looking from side to side etc.) y'all know what I'm talking about. So...that's never a bad thing.

I've been on the move lately, traveling from bachelor party to bachelor party, wedding to wedding. I have to say, this is the busiest summer I've ever had! I still have three weddings to attend and lots of air miles to gain. I am realizing this may be the only way the majority of my friends find exposure to my world, and it's good in a sad kind of way. But, I will promise to those who read, every third post will be something incredible...believe me, it's in there. So, keep enjoying your own lives...book reviews, beers you've been drinking, music you think is the shit, babies you've been changing, wives you've been impregnating etc. I think we all want to take a look at what's next.