Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chapter 2

Sept. 9th 9:30am Metro Transit en route to work ugh! Sherman Oaks-Echo Park:
Phone call at bus stop in downtown Burbank.
"Hey B, it's Kurt....just want to let you know, I'm leaving for France today and will be staying there until the Brad shoot...won't be able to bring you due to 'budget cuts'...". Apparently Wes A is directing the commercial for the Japanese phone co. and wants to take the stills too in order to do what he wants to do. Okay, bummer, now what? A little relief, I mean, I do have to get my DL, and I have to go to Court in OC to take care of the citations I mentioned before. Alright, cool, I'll just go to France some other time. Well, I’m here in Burbank already, I mean, it took me about an hour to get here; I might as well head over to Silver Lake and see if the Pool’s open on Locksley. I’m in luck and at 11 I have myself a little Pool party. I’m sick of running around town and I seriously need a break with a pal. A chat here, a chat there, lots of work, some cleanup and we’re out and off to a thrift store. For a moment life slowed down and I was able to relax, no runaround, no stress…thanks to the Pool party. After a dog at the Red Lion, and a few calls to some pals in NY I decided to venture out once again on the metro and see how long it’d take me to get home. It was dark by the time I made it up the entryway stairs. I hadn’t talked with C about the car problem yet, only briefly when she was falling asleep. So I call her.
Me: "...So, look, I had some car issues to deal with the other day, that’s why I didn’t call. Sorry I didn't call sooner, but it’s been kind of crazy lately. I understand if you've got a problem with it, it's just something I've got to deal with right now."
C: “…well, the important thing is you’re okay.”

Sept. 11th OC Court, Irvine CA 8:30am:
Sister drove me to Irvine, ain't she sweet? Here she is again.
We’re both sitting in the courtroom being briefed by a bailiff, who thinks he’s Steve Martin, on how to communicate with the Judge. I’m thumbing through papers, documents, proof of Insurance forms etc. wondering what I’m supposed to plea. Do I plead guilty or no contest…it’s the same thing isn’t it? Names are called, and I’m just another loser in the crowd, in the system. I haven’t been to court since 16 years old when I was fined for doing doughnuts in a church parking lot on New Year’s Eve. It turned out to be pretty painless actually. All fines exceeding $2K reduced to $300. Whew. Alright, now we’re off to the Culver City DMV to pass my written test and get my CA DL. Two hours pass as I study the manual once again when…*”now servicing A904 at counter 10”* is called. I walk with confidence to the counter and place my application, passport and charm at the mercy of the DMV clerk, praying all things are in order.
Clerk: “Looks good, good luck”
33 out of a possible 36 makes passing with a 92%. Sweet, so now all I have to do is cruise to the Auto Detectives in Van Nuys and slam down my CA DL on the counter and peace out to get my car. I called ahead, just to make sure we’d make it before they closed.
Detective: “if you don’t make it, it’s okay, the guys at the front desk can give you a release if we’re closed.”
Me: “are you sure, if I come right now, I can still get it released?”
Detective: “yes”
Me: “are you SURE?”
Detective: “yes”
So, me and sis head out to the valley during rush hour. Wilco’s Passenger Side echoes in my ear like an anthem as we traverse the Sepulveda Pass toward the Van Nuys Police Station…"I got a court date coming this June, I'll be driving soon..." I slam my CA DL on the front desk when I hear this.
Officer: "Sorry pal, Detectives went home, and we don't have you papers, come back tomorrow." Me: "but someone told me you would have my papers if they’ve closed"
Officer: "Sorry pal, come back tomorrow...next."

No comments: