Friday, April 18, 2008

The Commute to My Career


I suppose college is a time when normal people decide what they want to do for the rest of their life and spend the rest of their life building upon that decision. I don't know if I'm normal yet. I have a degree in Biology, yet I spent a good amount of my later years in education exploring that which is not exactly Scientific. I don't believe I was ever drawn to Science naturally. The subject itself did intrigue me at one time, however, the desire to prove to myself I could be successful in completing such a demanding and challenging degree was something I did to legitimize my education, not out of love for the subject.

So, here I am, thinking about my next move, but hesitant to really dive into what I might enjoy. I feel deeply obligated to continue in a direction where I know I have built up my skills and experience. It seems to be the quickest commute; I know the streets, the routine and expected time of arrival. The commute is easy, but I'm not sure I want it.

I'm just wondering if people go through this all the time, or if it's just me. We move away from our passions far too long, eventually the commute to pursue our desire suddenly becomes too far to drive and the possibility of being late is increased.

I don't know...I'm just thinking

No comments: