Sunday, July 26, 2009

Above Reproach

What does that mean really? Well, I looked it up and this is the definition of reproach: Disgrace; shame. So, to be above reproach would be to be above disgrace or shame. I've hated that term for so long. I feel the reason may be because I always heard it coming from church ladies or simple minded weaker men in my life. I'm so sick of the traditional way people in America treat Christianity as a practice, as a lifestyle. I've traveled (granted not as much as most, but I've been out there). I've seen a people take part in a culture unlike Americans, a culture where Christians will meet for a few beers after a morning mass/service. Whatever. I'm over that point.
I respect that term now, being above reproach. I think there's much to be said about a man who can be looked at and deemed to be not "a disgrace" or "shameful". I guess I've always believed that being above reproach has more to do with what is seen around you, or who one should look up to. I agree, there are many men and families in the church who can lead a positive example, but I'm of the mindset that if I want to lead a positive example, I want to do it honestly.
I used to volunteer in the youth group at my church before I was of drinking age, but haven't since. Why? Because everyone that worked with youth in the church I grew up in had to vow not to drink or smoke or dance or whatever...to remain above reproach, and that pissed me off. I haven't volunteered since.
I'm beginning to question - question mind you - that if I am to live a life above reproach, does that mean I can't drink, dance, smoke or gamble for enjoyments sake?
I was talking with a lovely woman on the phone today and I expressed all this to her. I feel you who are married have an amazing ability to lead a life that remains above reproach as an example of a Christian couple to your community. Sure, there are those that seem more "spiritual" or further along in their understanding of such tic tacky subjects of the Christian life, but are those always THE example, period? I have a mentor and I love him to death, but if I'm expected to live up to the standard that he and his wife live, I will have to sacrifice much of who I am. And I'm not talking sinful stuff, I'm just saying normal stuff.
Dancing for example. I like to dance, I may not be good at it, but, I like it. I am looking for a woman who likes it too. I love Spain. I love the way they are so uninhibited and will just dance with anyone, because they love to do it. How come we cannot live a life here, where dancing and expression is celebrated? Where parties aren't just a bunch of chumps (like myself) standing around? To be above reproach in that sense, if one is married, has more to do with the couple doesn't it? If one wants to dance and the other is in conversation? Sure, people can question the shame of the person dancing, but what of the relationship of the couple? The wife dancing with a friend while the husband discusses with Keith about when he's going to have a child already? If the husband knows and has confidence with his wife, can't that be something freeing and an example to our culture?
I just hate the idea of living my life based on the weakest of faith. I guess that's my beef with all this. "If you cause your brother to stumble" because they are weaker in faith doesn't mean you live your life to the weakest among you. If we all did that, we'd become a bunch of Christians who constantly are taking the social temperature of our peers.
I respect the elders of my church, I do. But sometimes I think we all are individuals with different interests and pleasures. For some it's video games, for others it's something else. For me, I suppose it's looking across the room to see someone I love conversing with someone independent of myself, perhaps even dancing...and knowing we are in love, and a simple conversation or dance will not effect my faith in her or Christ. Even better, and more romantic, is seeing them dance with someone and cutting in essentially saving her and really showing her a good time.
That's all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was looking at the qualifications for Elder candidates at my church (GCEP) a few months ago. Out of 13 qualities, I may have qualified for, ah, maybe 2. I guess I am not "above reproach." But then I started thinking that maybe Moses, King David (the Guy after God's heart), maybe even Elijah or St. Paul (formerly known as Saul of Tarsus), would not qualify to be an Elder. Martin Luther or John Calvin? So I guess I am in pretty good company.

After looking at that qualification list several times, I finally understood why the Elders are all cookie-cutter similar. They are all ABOVE REPROACH!

dmh said...

Billy,
What's up? I'll be in LA soon. We should hang.

Let me throw some Greek at you. The definition for anegklatos/anepilamptos or "above reproach" (Titus 1:6, 1 tim 3:2, 10, 5:7. 6:14) is even more impossible than what you gave. It is "blameless". Obviously no one could be a episkopos or presbyteros (read: pastor) according to such a standard.

Thank God Paul explains a little bit of what he means by "above reproach in Colossians. Check this out: Col 1:15-23 (Long quote, but its awesome.)

-
"15 He [the Son] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister."
-

This declaration of what we are (holy, blameless, "above reproach") is rooted in who Christ is (God) and what he has done (made peace for us by the blood of His cross).

So that list in Titus and 1 Timothy is a list of definitions of a leader of God's people is or is not through Christ.
He is sober, not a drunk. He is self-controlled, not violent. etc.

It is a problem when these definitions are ripped out of their context in Christ. Scripture is not a handy rulebook or collection of nice moral teachings and stories. It proclaims the grand narrative of the saving work of God though Christ's death on the cross.

All that being said, for specific things like dancing or whatever, its not through doing something or not doing something that we live in Christ but our Christian lives are guided and directed by the Spirit of Christ working through the Word in our lives.

We are not self-centered and work-focused but Christ-centered and cross-focused.

To fulfill all those requirements? If you think you fit the bill, you probably don't. But if you think you are lacking, you're might be right for the job.

Billy said...

good words guys.