Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Theology

I've been in conversations lately which I would title, The Purpose of Jesus and Sin. The conversations are generally about sin, what is considered sin, how do we define sin etc., or Jesus' purpose, Jesus' example and the human element within the "why" Jesus at all. People are always claiming to be searching for answers when theological questions arise, but are they? I mean, I have questions about general information that I am not actively searching for answers to right now. For example: How do I make soup taste the way my mother made it? Why does Modest Mouse only have one song worth listening to on their newest album? Why does my car get horrible gas mileage? Among other questions I'm not searching for answers. Furthermore, I have made conclusions on some questions without even really searching for answers. For instance, my car's gas mileage...probably because it needs a tune up, that's my conclusion, I'm not going to search any longer for that answer, it may not be the right answer, but I've made it my answer.

I know these are gross analogies, but it makes sense in my mind. If I were really trying to find out how my mother makes soup taste the way it does, I'd most likely talk with my mom to answer that question. I would not consult Betty Crocker or go to soup conferences and trade shows, or listen to a speaker on soup or become apart of a cause to end horrible soup making. Nor would I look to those who have tasted my mom's soup (my sisters for example) and determine their way of making soup is so grossly embarrassing to how my mother makes soup, I'm not even going to associate with that kind of soup making, therefore driving me to decide that I must make the soup I think my mom intended it to be made and thus creating, in a way, my own soup.

Sometimes the answers to the questions we ask about Jesus, God and Sin are so clear, we really don't have to keep questioning. Like, did Jesus sin? For those who like questioning and not really looking for the answers, it's a great question to ponder; but honestly, if one believes in the God of the Bible, and understands the character of this God, than is that really a "good" question? If it is in Jesus' character to sin, than you must also believe it is in God's character to sin as well. Making a belief and trust in that God no more confident than the belief and trust in your neighbor. Or, you must not believe Jesus was God, thus not making you a Christian at all. And, if that question is sparked by the actions of those who grossly interpret and believe in this God of the Bible, and the "search" for the answer to the question is dictated by "God conferences", speakers, social causes etc. and not directed to the actual Creator Himself, then what are you really doing? To me, you are creating in essence, your own idea of God, and from there, creating a reality which does not have truth at all.

I believe it is easy for people to hide behind the search, creating a god that fits their needs and convictions, a god without reference, without boundries. Once their god is created there is freedom to live life according to their own will. Freeing them to live life motored by impulse rather than reverence and submission. Thus, people ask questions for the sake of asking questions, which triggers an existential collapse and results in a slow, anguished decay... leaving a shadow with no conviction, and tragically someone who is rendered irrelevant.

2 comments:

kcs said...

interesting thoughts...I'd like to here the conversations that sparked them. (and I do mean genuinely interesting, not the "how odd that you would think that" interesting.)

rebecca said...

good stuff billy